“Helen Keller International saves and improves the sight and lives of the world’s vulnerable by combating the causes and consequences of blindness, poor health and malnutrition.”
They accomplish this by enriching food staples to end severe malnutrition.
Some crazy sad facts from their website and some awesome ones at the end:
- There are 36 million people worldwide who are blind, most of whom live in developing countries. 80% of those cases are preventable.
- Preventable diseases of poverty include blinding trachoma and river blindness.
- Each year an estimated six million children die before celebrating their fifth birthday, 45% of whom die due to causes related to malnutrition.
- HKI is a super kickass organization that is very open with their annual reports, successes, and very clear about their, “Why”, “How”, and “Now”s’.
- "Of every dollar we [HKI] spend, 84.8 cents goes directly to help save the sight and lives of vulnerable children and their families."
Virginic is about recognizing the issues the world faces and finding solutions through action. We formulate our products around the idea of purity and health because we care about the entire supply chain and the people that make this system a viable alternative to the existing paradigm of wealth extraction over humanity and the Earth's eco-system. We are fortunate enough to give what we have to foundations like the Hellen Keller Institute so we do. It is that simple.
Primum non nocere. "First, do no harm." We salute those who accept this and then take the next step of responsibility of healing what needs healing.
If you, like us here at Virginic would also like to make an impact to help the vulnerable, please boop that Donate Button over there beneath us yonder. Enriched foods leads to enriched lives!
If you donate to the cause, contact us and we will present you with a coupon code for 10% off your next Virginic purchases!